This cake is light and airy. Bubby Rose only used Golden Blossom© Honey for this cake and so do I. Bubby used to bake this cake in a deep 9″*13″ baking pan that has been layered with vertical pieces of baking paper in a way that made the pan higher. I bake it in 5 4″*8″ aluminum foil loaf pans. I never liked to bake in aluminum foil pans because they are very light and poor conductors of heat and therefore the cakes don’t bake evenly (burned on the outside, under baked in the middle). In order to make up for that I double the pans and put them on a heavy cookie sheet, this way the baking is even and cakes come out perfect!
- 4 C. Flour
- 2 1/2 tsp. Baking Powder
- 1 tsp. Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp. Salt
- 1 tsp. Cinnamon
- 1 1/2 C. Sugar, divided
- 1 1/2 C. Honey
- 2 tsp. Coffee + 1 C. Boiling Water
- 7 Eggs, separated
- 1/2 C. Oil
- Turn oven on at 325°.
- In a small bowl mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.
- In a small bowl mix 1 C. sugar, honey and prepared coffee.
- In the small bowl of the mixer whip the egg whites until foam starts to form, gradually add 1/2 C. sugar.
- In the large bowl of the mixer whip the egg yolks and oil.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients, alternate with wet ingredients. Start and end with the dry mixture.
- Gently fold the egg foam into the mixture.
- Pour into greased pan(s). Bake for 55-60 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the middle of the cake comes out dry.