Cranberry Pistachio Biscotti
These are the perfect biscottis! Nice and crispy, sweet but not too much, a winning combination of vanilla and orange extracts and the pistachios and craisins that give them an interesting texture and an attractive look! What else could you ask for to go with your coffee? I like to use the ShopRite brand chopped pistachios, one bag is enough for one batch of biscottis. They are twice baked, once in a log and, after they cool off they are sliced and baked again. Shaping the log can be a messy business since the dough is very sticky and uncooperative. But my troubles all became a thing of the past when I found the biscotti pan that has two advantages: the need to shape the logs is eliminated, I just place the dough in the pans and spread it evenly (yes, I do weigh the pans to make sure they contain the same amount of dough 😉). Also – all the biscottis come out even shaped, which is not the case with a log, where the middle spreads more then the ends.
- 1/2 C. oil
- 1 1/2 C. sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 tsp. orange extract
- 4 eggs
- 3 1/2 C. flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 C. craisins
- 1 1/2 C. (1 bag ShopRite brand) chopped pistachios
- Turn oven on to 350°.
- In a medium bowl cream oils and sugar.
- Mix in eggs and vanilla and orange extracts.
- Gradually add flour, salt and baking powder
- Mix in pistachios and craisins.
- With wet hands form two logs and place on a baking sheet with room to spread or place in two biscotti pan and spread evenly.
- Bake for 25 minutes until it starts to get golden.
- Let cool on the counter for a little bit.
- Take out of pan (if using) and slice in 1/2″ slices.
- Place slices on a baking rack and bake again for 20-30 minutes. I like them when they are well done and starting to brown.