Puffy dough and gooey filling… what else can you ask for? I use a bread machine to make the dough.
- 2 Tbsp. active dry yeast
- 1/3 C. warm water
- 1/2 C. sugar
- 5 1/2 – 6 C. flour
- 1/2 C. oil
- 1 C. soy milk
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 tsp. salt
- 5 Tbsp. margarine, melted
- 2 egg whites
- 2 C. sugar
- 2/3 C. cocoa
- 2 Tbsp. water
- 2 Tbsp. margarine
- 4 Tbsp. flour
- 4 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 egg – for brushing the cake
- Place the water, soy milk, 1 Tbsp. sugar and the yeast in the mixer bowl.
- While the yeast starts bubbling mix the oil and the eggs in a separate bowl.
- Add the oil and eggs mix, rest of sugar and half the amount of flour to the bowl and start mixing, once all the flour has blended in add the rest of the flour and the salt. Adjust the amount of flour so the dough is smooth and doesn’t stick to the bowl. Keep kneading for 10 minutes.
- Spray the dough with oil spray, turn over and spray the other side. Cover the dough and let rise in a warm place for an hour.
- In a small bowl mix the filling ingredients.
- In another small bowl mix the streusel ingredients.
- Line 2 loaf pans with parchment paper.
- Divide the dough in 2. Roll out each half as thin as you can, the width should be a little longer than a loaf pan. Spread half the amount of filling on the dough and roll it up so you get a roll a little longer than a loaf pan. Cut the roll lengthwise and twist the two halves around each other like a rope. It will be very messy! Place the cake in the prepared pan. Repeat with the other half of the dough.
- Let rise for an hour.
- Beat and egg and brush onto the cakes, sprinkle streusel over the cakes.
- Put the cakes in a cold oven and turn the oven on to 350°. Bake until the cake looks ready about 40 minutes.