Puffy dough and gooey filling… what else can you ask for? I use a bread machine to make the dough.
- 2 Tbsp. active dry yeast
- 1/3 C. warm water
- 1/2 C. sugar
- 5 1/2 – 6 C. flour
- 1/2 C. oil
- 1 C. soy milk
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 tsp. salt
- 5 Tbsp. margarine, melted
- 2 egg whites (keep the yolks for brushing the cakes before baking)
- 2 C. sugar
- 2/3 C. cocoa
- 2 Tbsp. water
- 2 Tbsp. margarine
- 4 Tbsp. flour
- 4 Tbsp. sugar
- Place the water, soy milk, 1 Tbsp. sugar and the yeast in the mixer bowl.
- While the yeast starts bubbling mix the oil and the eggs in a separate bowl.
- Add the oil and eggs mix, rest of sugar and half the amount of flour to the bowl and start mixing, once all the flour has blended in add the rest of the flour and the salt. Adjust the amount of flour so the dough is smooth and doesn’t stick to the bowl. Keep kneading for 10 minutes.
- Take the dough out of the bowl and spray the bowl with oil spray, return the dough to the bowl and turn over so that all sides or coated in oil. Cover the dough and let rise in a warm place for an hour.
- In a small bowl mix the filling ingredients.
- In another small bowl mix the streusel ingredients.
- Line 3 loaf pans with parchment paper.
- Divide the dough in 3. Roll out each portion as thin as you can, the width should be a little longer than a loaf pan. Spread a third of the amount of filling on the dough and roll it up so you get a roll a little longer than a loaf pan. Cut the roll lengthwise and twist the two halves around each other like a rope with the cut up side facing up. It will be very messy! Place the cake in the prepared pan. Repeat with the other portions of the dough.
- Let rise for an hour.
- Beat the egg yolks and brush over the cakes, sprinkle streusel over the cakes.
- Bake at 350° until the crumbs become golden brown about 40 minutes.